Sunday 14 October 2012

New work - Summer memories

We have started the year at Chelsea with an exhibition of the work people did during the holidays. I have really enjoyed the show, i think that it is a great start for everyone!
It was much easier to install the show this time than last year as the group of people we worked with was quite small and also because everyone knew exactly how and where they want their work to be placed/seen.



My piece at the show was the piece i called "Summer memories".

This is an abstracted version of outlines of map of Costa Rica that i have made with shells that were found and bought by me and my family in Costa Rica this summer. It is raised to feel like like it it a pier that supposed to go into the sea... Unfortunately, i could not carry the sand from Costa Rica, o i had to use some sand i bought here, but, ideally, it would be sand from there.

To me this piece of work is not only the literal reference to map of the country, or the shells from there, but my memories that i have of me and my family going out on the shore every morning to look for shells, it reminds me of the sea there, of the place itself and the time i had there.

I am aware that for the viewer the emotions probably would be different as these shells (except for professionals in shells) could be seen as shells from any country that has a sea or an ocean. And this is exactly what i want, because this way any person looking at this can for a little bit remember their holiday at sea, maybe their people there and the emotions they had.

No comments:

Post a Comment